Apple Crisp Recipe With Fresh Sweet Apples And Brown Sugar
This apple crisp is a favorite for casual family dinners as well as the holidays because it is not only dairy-free and egg-free, but it’s so easy to prepare. For quicker weeknight preparation, I often leave the skins on the apples, but this recipe truly benefits from peeling them first.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
Ingredients For Apple Crisp Recipe “Filling”
- 10 cups peeled, cored apple pieces
- ¾ cup white granulated sugar
- 1 T. corn starch
- 1 t. ground cinnamon
- ¼ t. nutmeg
- 3 T. water
- 1 T. lemon juice
Ingredients For Apple Crisp Recipe “Topping”
- 2 cups 1-minute oats (also known as quick oats)
- 1 ¾ cup white all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup white granulated sugar
- ½ cup finely chopped pecans
- ½ t. baking powder
- ½ t. baking soda
- ¾ cup dairy-free soy margarine, melted
Preparation For Apple Crisp Recipe
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Lightly oil or grease a 9” x 13” baking dish, or, alternatively, smaller baking dishes for individual crisps. Set aside.
2. Make the filling. In a medium-large mixing bowl, toss the apple slices with the sugar, corn starch, cinnamon, nutmeg, water and lemon juice until evenly coated. Pour into the prepared baking dish.
3. Make the topping. In a medium mixing bowl, sift together the oats, flour, sugars, chopped pecans, baking powder and baking soda until well combined. Add the melted soy margarine, mixing until the mixture is consistent. Using your hands, crumble the mixture over the apple mixture. Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until golden brown. Serve warm or cold, with dairy-free vanilla ice cream if desired.